Silicon Valley Down Syndrome Network Membership

BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH FOR JONATHAN

29 Sep 2011 1:39 PM | Anonymous

January, 2007

My friends call me Jon, which is short for Jonathan.  I am 31 years old and I have Down Syndrome.  My girlfriend is a very a special part of my life.  We have been dating for over a year. I like talking to her on the phone, going places and having movie or dinner dates with her.

MY INTERESTS

Most of my interests, besides my girl friend, are related to sports.  I participate in Special Olympics. My favorite sport is basketball. I enjoy playing golf with my brother and in Special Olympics tournaments.  I exercise regularly and belong to a fitness club.  I am a 49ers football fan and a SF Giants baseball fan.  I earned my Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do.  I also like to play sports theme video games and I like to watch Disney Channel TV as well as the latest DVD’s.  I go places like to movies, bowling & miniature golf with friends.  I.  I take vacations with my family, such as to Hawaii and to New York to see cousins.  I have a new passport, so I can travel to Canada next summer. I am a Christian and enjoy the worship service at my church every week.

MY JOB

I am a stock clerk at a local drugstore.  I work four days a week and have had this job since 1997.  I like my job and the people I work with.  I also have a volunteer job at my local library two days a week.

WHERE I LIVE

I live with a friend in a 2 bedroom townhouse condo in a great  town.  I live close enough to my job that I can walk to work, to various stores, to Starbucks and some fast food places too.  I take the bus when I need to travel further, but I don’t mind walking. I walk over a mile to my fitness club.  I have lived in this town since 1997. I live about 30 miles from my family and travel home to visit about once a month.

I learned to live independently by being part of a group home community training program which included attending a community college program that taught independent living and career skills. My friend who lives with me is a teacher.  He helps me with shopping, laundry and other things that I need.  I also have an Independent Living Agency that helps me get my bills paid, keeps track of my money and helps me make appointments. I have a government subsidy for my rent and I have enough money to pay all my bills

MY DREAMS

I like living independently from my family and I like doing things on my own. My dream is that my girl friend and I will be able to be married one day.

You can find a story about me the book, Common Threads, Celebrating Life with Down Syndrome,  And on page 121 in the book, Mental Wellness in Adults with Down Syndrome, there is a picture of my girl friend and I. She is cooking spaghetti for our dinner.

If you want to learn more about how people with down syndrome can live independently, you can contact my mom at downsliving@yahoo.com.

Silicon Valley Down Syndrome Network

SVDSN is a program of Valley Medical Center Foundation who is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization

2400 Clove Drive, San Jose CA 95128