SVDSN Taiko Workshop
Saturday from 10:30-11:30 am:
July 30, 2022
On Saturday, July 30, SVDSN will hold a Japanese taiko drumming workshop for vaccinated self advocates, ages 10 and up. We are delighted to welcome back our OT instructor, Sydney Shiroyama, who will lead this taiko workshop for SVDSN.
Self advocates will have a hands-on introduction to ensemble Japanese drumming. While taiko, the drum, has long existed in Japanese traditions, the ensemble style of taiko, a.k.a. kumidaiko, we play in North America only developed in Japan in the 1950's! This relatively new style of taiko evokes excitement and a celebratory atmosphere and is found in many festivals in Japan. In America, taiko was nurtured by the Japanese American communities during the Asian American civil rights movement in the 1960's and 1970's, and had particularly strong roots in Jodo Shinshu Buddhist Churches (Buddhist Churches of America). As a result, taiko gained visibility and popularity as a vibrant performing art, inspiring groups to form across the U.S. in diverse communities, schools, and colleges, and even in Europe and South America. Taiko is an art form that lends itself to inclusivity and unity-- it gives everyone a voice and the opportunity to be heard. SVDSN is excited to be partnering with TaikoPeace, the Mountain View Buddhist Temple, and Sydney Shiroyama to bring taiko to our families.
In this workshop, Sydney and her instruction team will be working with self advocates, introducing them to the basics of taiko. We will use the standard "kuchi-shoga" method that taiko players use to teach pieces to one another, chanting the drumming patterns out loud as they are learning to physically drum the movements, using words or sounds that are assigned to certain movements and rhythms.
SVDSN will follow the same protocols developed during the 2021 summer inclusive workshops and used during the fall, winter, and spring classes to keep our community safe:
- The instruction team and any volunteers are fully vaccinated and will wear masks.
- The instructor may switch to a face shield while giving active instruction to provide visual cues to the participants. Social distancing will be expected while the instructor is wearing a face shield.
- All participants are fully vaccinated, boosted, if eligible, and will wear a mask. (If the self advocate is unable to wear a mask, please let us know.)
- Classes will be held outdoors.
- No food is permitted during class. (Water is permitted as we will take water breaks during class.)
- A fully-vaccinated adult, age 18 or older, must accompany the self advocate.
- An online health check form needs to be completed before each class. (One change: we will no longer take temperatures of attendees who are on site.)
Please note that our host location, Mountain View Buddhist Temple, is opening up to in-person activities, so we may start to see more people on site. We follow their in-person activity protocols. We will continue to monitor state, county, and local host venue guidelines throughout the class series and adjust as needed. Thank you for your understanding as we work to keep our community safe!
Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, but we hope to see you at taiko!
Dates: Saturday, July 30, 2022
Time: 10:30--11:30am PT
Location: Mountain View Buddhist Temple (outdoors)
Cost: $20/class for SVDSN members*; $30/class for non-SVDSN members
*Note: scholarships are available to SVDSN families; signing up to join SVDSN is free! Please email email@example.com with your request.